Ely Cathedral has origins dating back to AD 673 when St Etheldreda built an Abbey Church. The present building dates back to 1083, and was granted Cathedral status in 1109 and is the principal church of the Diocese of Ely, in Cambridgeshire, England.
Architecturally, it is outstanding both for its scale and stylistic details. Having been built in a monumental Romanesque style, the galilee porch, lady chapel and choir were rebuilt in an exuberant Decorated Gothic. Its most notable feature and the jewel in its crown is the central octagonal tower, a masterpiece of medieval engineering.